|Area: Bach |
|Dug in Year: 2001 |
|Feature Type: bench |
|Location: E-W, between kitchen and platform F. 170 |
|Grid X: 1056.53 Grid Y: 1185.61|
|This feature consisted of two almost identical parts (regarding shape): southern - earlier and northern - later. |
Initially, southern half was builtin front of the post (F. 168) and attached to F. 170 (as its soutehrn edge). It is made of layers of compact, dry, light brown clay, and sits right on top of the midden below building 3. Originally, it was 40 cm wide, its edges straight, angles of 90 deg, looking like a brick.
In later phases, northern half was put in, making F. 170 shorter from its southern end, so that the later floors of this platform are attached to this new structure. It was made of bricku material, pieces of plaster, scorched clay, small stones, salts and sand - type of packing resembling one used for building entry step (F. 1010) close to this bench. This segment of F. 792 was sitting on the last (first, that is) of plaform F. 170.
All together, it represented very useful bench-like construction in the entrance area, separating "dirty" from "clean" area (together with some other features, such like threshold between kitchen and F. 606) of the house. This kind of feature was discovered in one of the Catal Houyuk's buildings excavated in 1960's - Melaart's shrine #14 (information obtained from John Swogger).
|In situ Conservation: No |
|Lifted: Yes |
|Feature Relationships: |
|abuts: (Click to view the record) 168, 170, 606 |
|Number of Related Diary Entries: 0|
|Conservation Recorded: No|
|Buildings: (Click to view the record) |
|Spaces: (Click to view the record) |
|No. Of Units in this Feature: 2 (Click here to view unit list)|