|Area: South |
|Dug in Year: 1997 |
|Feature Type: wall |
|Location: NS aligned party wall divinding spaces 109 to west and 112 to east |
|Grid X: 910.4 Grid Y: 980|
NS aligned wall, party wall on 109 to west and 112 to east. Abutted at its southern terminus by EW aligned wall 52 which forms the south wall to the space. Wall 52 follows the south terminus around the dog leg to the south and the south west end. Therefore wall 267 is earlier than wall 52. 267 continues north beyond the limit of the Mellaart Area trench. Its eastern face is rendered with multiple plaster applications and a floor horizon abutting the wall face. In the SW corner, it is abutted by platform 86. A second construction phase of this wall is represented by wall 85. which cut into the SE corner face of wall 267 which presumably functioned as a bond, wall 85 was constructed over platform 86 on an EW alignment, the east face of wall 267 was therefore in use through these two phases as only the south and west walls were 'revetted' or re-revetted. To the west, the face of wall for space 109 is plastered (2834) which actually pre-dates the southern wall of space 109 therefore the implication is that wall 267 extended or was part of another wall further south but removed in antiquity. This sequence is arrived at because the south wall of space 109 (it is represented by wall 52), abuts the plastered west face of this wall. So, if we take wall 52 as the south wall of this space 109, wall 267 forms the east wall and again this is only because the west face is plastered. However, both the south and east walls were abutted by later walls for space 109. Abutting the west face of 267 was wall 94 and to the south was wall 98, both of which were bonded. There was no activity horizon associated with wall 267 which may have been cleared out, alternatively and more feasible is that wall 52 was the north wall for spaces 106,107, and 108 to the south, wall 267 was a re-used west wall for space109, the plastered face to the west was there fore an earlier association and nothing to do with space 109 and part of the walls for 109 were represented by walls 94 and 98.
Wall 267 has not been completely excavated this year and we won't know the complete picture until it is. It's bee shaved down because of fairly steep overhang which won't survive until 1998. Therefore this wall needs to be planned again at the and the relationships to the earlier walls (not numbered but below 94) should be established.
1998: Bricks 7.5 YR 3/1 very dark grey. mortar mottled
1998 JB: Wall F267 was fully excavated during 1998. The top part (c.0.50 m thick) proved to be somewhat different from the lower part, i.e. top was less wide, c. 25 cm, abutted rather than bonded to wall F286 and the bricks were slightly more pale brown but otherwise the same size and the same type of mortar was used. The lower part extended continuously and was c.37 cm wide at the base, as was further indicated by the concave shape of the wall seen in the N section of space 112. The lower part was also bonded to wall 286, which would mean that the upper part of wall 267 is actually later in date. The bricks in the lower part were of a stronger colour, yellowish brown. The base was distinct, easy to follow with very dark grey bricks and mottles mortar which survives in places (brown, white and grey), very uneven and irregular surface at base and the underlying wall slopes even more from North to South than 267, and again seems to be bonded with new wall in SW junction, underlying F286. The wall underlying F267 appears to abut the wall below F94 to the W, as did the lowest part of F267 at the SW end, the NW part between 267 and wall underlying 90 is infilled.
7/9/98 SF: Update on wall 267 - Shahina
Firstly, last year was that wall 52 represented the early southern wall to space 112, later abutted by a support wall 85. This was found to be wrong this year, in that the southern boundary for space 112 pre 'support' wall 85 was represented by wall 286. this was bonded to the yellow brown bricks of wall 267, therefore as Jenny records the upper courses only of 267 in the SW corner, were abutted by wall 286. The fact that at this junction there was plaster on the east facing top course of wall 267 results in a circular stratigraphical relationship. I need to think more on this, but it could be totally misleading as is was all so dry and fragmentary. More on this when I have time to think!
Although there is no hard evidence (which may reveal itself in section some time in the future) it appears that in fill of the earliest building took place after the construction of the wall.
Note 20-07-2004 by Bleda During
In the 2004 campaign the northern part of space 112 (and the room to the north space 231) were excavated. On the basis of these excavations the following elements can be added to the feature sheet.
The wall measures about 3.20 meters from the 1997 section to the north corner, its maximum height in this strectch is about 80 cms. The width of the bricks is about 20 cms, but mah have been wider at the bottom where the wall is less eroded. Bricks are between 10 and 4 cms high and are often difficult to outline (see drawing 004/907). The matrix is a compact orange bricks with lime particles and small vegetal inclusions. Mortar is generally about 2 to 4 cms. It consists of greyish compact clay with the same inclusions as the bricks.
It has been suggested (see above) that there was a distinction between the upper part of 267 and its lower courses in terms of brick matrices. In our part of the building this distinction merely seems to reflect the fact that the upper part of the wall has been exposed to the environment whereas the lower part has not, given that the differences occur exactly at the point where Mellaart ended his excavations.
In terms of relations to other features the following elements can be noted. Wall f.267 was built on earlier wall f. 295 (west wall space 162 - level VIII). This wall can be recognized on the basis of its dark grey very compact bricks. This wall f. 295 slopes down steeply to the south.
Wall f. 267 is bonded to the north wall of the building incorporating space 112 and 231, wall f. 1700, which has similar bricks and mortar. The plaster on both walls is also continuous.
Wall f. 267 is abutted by the internal division wall f. 1701 to the east, but the plaster on both walls is continuous, and there is no plaster at the interface of the two walls.
Post retrieval pit 1703 was cut along wall f. 267. There was no plaster scar of the former post on the wall.
A plastered niche f. 1708 was constructed within and cut out of the northern part of wall f. 267, and then lined with red clay and beige plaster.
The walls relation to wall f. 94 along this stretch is not clear. No consistent plaster coating could be recognized along the interface (unlike to the south where 267 had a plaster coatıng and was abutted by f. 94- see above), but excavation of f. 267 may clarify the relation between the two walls.
Equally the relation of wall f. 267 to the neighbouring wall of building VII.20 cannot be established at present. No plaster was recognized at the interface between the two walls.
|In situ Conservation: No |
|Lifted: No |
|Feature Relationships: |
|above: (Click to view the record) 295 |
|abutted by: (Click to view the record) 52, 86, 94, 1701, 1703 |
|bonded with: (Click to view the record) 286 |
|bonds: (Click to view the record) 1700 |
|cut by: (Click to view the record) 1708 |
|Number of Related Diary Entries: 7|
|Conservation Recorded: No|
|Buildings: (Click to view the record) |
|Spaces: (Click to view the record) |
|No. Of Units in this Feature: 10 (Click here to view unit list)|